Progress to Ultimate Goal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Friday, October 22, 2010

Stop Being a Moron

As I went through my daily trolling of blogs, I read Tony's about the priorfatgirl family and was intrigued so I hopped over to Jen's blog.  Boy am I glad I did.  Jen has done an amazing job of losing 90+ lbs and keeping it off and continued blogging for 2+ years to help and inspire others.  I was curious about her contest to join the priorfatgirl family but unfortunately the entry deadline was Oct 21 :(.  Oh well, I was still very interested in what she had to say and her journey.

One thing I like to do when looking at other blogs is to see how long they have been on their journey, how long have they been blogging and their progress.  I go to the beginning, ie the first blogs entries to read the start of the story - the who, why, how of the person and the decision to change.  I try to feel the emotion and get a sense of the commitment to move towards a new life.  It's kinda funny because when you read a book you start at the front and then if you're like me you may cheat and read the last few pages... with a blog you are starting with the here and now but you really do need to see the person at the start.

I read one of her early posts called "Skinny Bitch" and it was an A HA moment for me, the second this month...  I hope she doesn't mind me posting the content here but I thought it was so relevant to all of us struggling day in and day out to stay on our journey and those out their still not fully committed, here goes:

About 6 months ago, I bought a book called “Skinny Bitch” by Rory Freedman & Kim Barnouin. Although I think these ladies take healthy living to an extreme (all natural, no meat or dairy, no processed, no additives, etc), one of the main themes of the book has continued to keep me motivated. I’ve copied here a excerpts from the book that I repeat to myself when I am discouraged or unmotivated. 

Stop being a moron and start getting skinny! If you can’t take one more day of self-loathing, your ready to hear the truth: You cannot keep shoveling the same crap into your mouth every day and expect to loose weight.”
“Are you sick and tired of being fat? Good. If you can’t take one more day of self-loathing, your ready to get skinny. You don’t need a degree in biology to get skinny. You don’t need to starve yourself to get skinny. You don’t need to spend all day at the gym to get skinny. You just need to smarten up and use your head. Really. Its that simple. We have been so brainwashed by fad diets, magazine articles, and advertising that we have forgotten how to think for ourselves.”
“This is not a diet. This is a way of life. A way to enjoy food. A way to feel healthy, clean, energized and pure. Its time to reclaim your mind and body. It’s time to strut your skinny ass down the street like you’re in an episode of Charlie’s Angels with some really cool song playing around in the background.”
“Junk food will never go away. It becomes more alluring by the minute with laboratory-developed aromas, artificial flavors, chemical food colors, toxic preservatives, and heart-stopping hydrogenated oils. We know these are impossible to resit, but no one ever got skinny on junk food. Use your head. Candy bars, potato chips and ice cream taste like heaven, of course. But they will pitch a tent on your hips and camp out all year long.”
“What if someone told you that you could totally change your life and have the body you want for the rest of your life? What if all you had to do was struggle for a month or two? What if you could reprogram your brain to actually enjoy healthy foods? Well, guess what? You can change your life. You can enjoy healthy foods.”
Recognize that anything worth having is worth fighting for. Good health, vitality, more energy, more confidence, better sex, great abs, a tight ass – you either want ‘em or you don’t. You can continue plodding along in your life feeling like your not living up to your glorious potential or you can dedicate yourself to creating the life you want. F*ck excuses about not having the time or the money. You spend forty hours a week working, or more if you are a working mom. Certainly your health and your body and you are more important than anything else in your life. You are worthless to your colleagues, friends, and family if you do not value yourself enough to take care of you. Yes, you have to put yourself before your friends, parents, boyfriend, husband and even your children.”

http://www.amazon.com/Skinny-Bitch-Kim-Barnouin/dp/0762424931
A great message although moron is not the right word.  But the message is STOP, turn and move in a new direction.  I will definitely keep as something to reflect back on when feeling less motivated or bummed out.  I hope it helps you too,
Glenda

P.S. My Challenge updates, almost forgot it was Friday ...


My forth update on my three challenges and still going strong.

Syl's October Challenge
Day 22 October and 13 shred completed and 22 consecutive days of exercise for 60min each (minimum excluding Shred); woohoo!


1.  Lose 36 pounds - lost 4 this week for 20 pounds to date, 
2.  Workout a total of 5 times a week and go to my Kickboxing classes (counts as 2 a week) -  done
3.  Keep my blogging, my food plan and other stats up to date AND report on Friday's - rockin and rollin along, I LOVE THIS BLOGGING STUFF!!!
at my local gym

1.  Lose 25 pounds - I've lost 20 so far after starting Sep 20 and won one weekly challenge at the gym for highest % loss! 
2.  Don't quit the challenge - Haven't missed a weigh in & going strong!
3.  Attend gym classes regularly - done, I am a keener

5 comments:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I agree, those were awesome lines in the book. I bookmarked this so I can come back to read again, these are SO worth reading again. What they say is SO true! It's time to stop being a moron! Thanks!

Lindsey said...

“Recognize that anything worth having is worth fighting for."

I absolutely love that line, and really it couldn't be more true. Thank you for sharing this with us, what a read : )

Michele said...

That was an amazing post that you found. I have never heard of that book, but will look it up. Looks like you are doing GREAT on your 100 hottie challenge. Congrats! Michele

Julie Lost and Found said...

I'm going to go buy that book!!

You are rockin' with your goals!!! Way to go! Congratulations!

logmyloss said...

Four seems to be the number this week - great job!!!

~South Beach Steve