Progress to Ultimate Goal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pricks in Our Life

"Fable of the porcupine:

It was the coldest winter ever. Many animals died because of the cold. The porcupines, realizing the situation, decided to group together. This way they covered and protected themselves; but the quills of each one wounded their closest companions even though they gave off heat to each other.

After a while, they decided to distance themselves one from the other and they began to die, alone and frozen.  So they had to make a choice: either accept the quills of their companions or disappear from the Earth. Wisely, they decided to go back to being together. This way they learned to live with the little wounds that were caused by the close relationship with their companion, but the most important part of it, was the heat that came from the others.

This way they were able to survive.  

Moral of the story: The best relationship is not the one that brings together perfect people, but the best is when each individual learns to live with the imperfections of others and can admire the other person's good qualities."



I love this, it was sent to me by my best friend I spoke about 2 weeks ago who does have a few pricks that I have to learn to accept.  In reality I have accepted them for the most part because we have been in each other's lives for 20 years.  I love her dearly and promise to do what I can to support her through her troubles and negative views on life but I also promise not to let her disposition negatively affect me.  I do admire the fact that she is a honest person, she is really funny and the life of the party at times and would always run to my side when I need her.

So think about the pricks in your life.  Not the jerks that come and go each day but the pricks that are part of your circle of family and friends.  Keep in mind their positive qualities, the ones that keep you warm when your feeling alone and chilly.  Overlook those barbs when you can and take a breather too in the relationship in order to re-energize...

Be happy...

9 comments:

Jayne Doe said...

What an interesting post. It's given me something to think about.

Thanks :)

fatgirlwearingthin said...

I have a friend just like this. It is easy to get hurt feelings over things and just take things personally in general; but I know that some of the things she does isn't done on purpose (and whenever I bring up my feelings, she sincerely apologizes). You are right. It is learning to accept people for who they are, and as long as they are and asset to your life instead of a hindrance, these relationships are worth it.

Lanie Painie said...

flaw: that's a hedgehog.

Mind Over Fatter said...

Flaw addressed, thanks

Shanilie said...

What a sweet little quote.
I haven't ever heard that one before. It is so true, even the closest people in our lives can still intentionally or unintentionally give pokes. But we still remain close.

Lindsey said...

That's a new one for me, but I really loved the meaning of the quote. I have had many times when as Shanilie said I was intentionally on unintentionally poked. It was definitely a learning process I wish kids (and adults) didn't have to go through.

http://lovenutritionhealth.blogspot.com/

Becky Johns said...

Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! Thank you for posting this. What a great picture painted! Speaks to me a lot about the non-weight matters I have had to release to get to where I am. More to go. Thanks for a great post. Becky

Julie said...

I love this, that was so cool and so worth thinking about.. Thank you for posting it.
I'm your newest follower from Steve's Hot 100. I'm going to go read a bit more and see what's going on in your life.
Take care and God Bless!!

Lucrecia said...

So very true, and great food for thought!

Also, congrats on your challenge results, you are rockin!